Sunday, November 09, 2008

good times

So Fall 2008 is turning out to be really great. Here's some highlights.

Halloween - I went to a kickin' Halloween party and had a really great time. My idea was to go with a friend of mine as D.J. Tanner and Kimmie Gibler, but by the time I mentioned it to her she had already bought and tailored a costume of her own. So my friend Matt and I went tag-team as a Metrocard and a turnstile. My brothers didn't seem to find that all that funny, so I think maybe it's more funny if you live here and use those things several times a day. So he made an impressively accurate Metrocard costume (complete w/ emergency info on the back) and I engineered a costume with a functioning turnstile. It went over really well, but I think that, on the whole, I find it more amusing to go as a person than as an inanimate object. Good to know for the future, I guess.

last Monday - I went to see the documentary "Dear Zachary." It was devastating, but in a hopeful, haunting way. The filmmaker demands a lot of the viewer, but it's one of the best things I've ever seen. Don't research it a lot, because it's better if you go into it with fewer details. But, if you find yourself in NYC, LA, Chicago, Portland, Nashville, San Jose or Sante Fe anytime soon, DEFINITELY check it out. It's so moving.

last Tuesday - Obama was elected!!! The election night party that I went to was a blast! Although I kinda wish I would've went to a party in Harlem and been a part of the celebrating there. But, I really did enjoy spending the night with the people I was with! The feeling of electricity here on Wednesday was palpable, like on New Year's Eve or the day after the Giants won the Super Bowl. So we'll see what happens in the coming months/years.

last Thursday - My friend Caleb made the top 5 (out of 4,000!) in The Bitter End's Songwriter's Circle (songwriting contest). I was on "the list" for the final night so I got in free and managed to get good seats. In addition to the top 5 playing, Marc Cohn and Dave Barnes were the guest performers. That was kinda strange, b/c they are two very different musicians and are in two very different places in their careers, but it worked out ok. FYI... If it's not immediately familiar, Marc Cohn is the guy who did "Walking in Memphis." I thought it might be a little bit cheesy, but actually it was amazing. Hearing him do that song on the piano live, and in a dark venue with great seats, was an unexpectedly moving experience.

yesterday - My friend hosted a beer tasting party, and it was soooo fun. I think we ended up having more than 20 different types of beer. My favorite... drum roll please... Delerium Tremens.

today - Great conversation with a friend this morning; the Bears lost but it was to the last undefeated team, and they don't really suck so bad this year; I was able to get both a great nap and some quality violin practice in earlier this afternoon. I also figured out the perfect Christmas gift for my younger brother, so I can cross that one off the list.

Wednesday- I am hanging out with a really fun group of people among whom good conversation always seems to materialize.

Thursday - My good friend and HFM (hopefully future me) will be in town and I am so excited to hang out with her!

Friday - Two of the BCG's, Faith and Laura Ashely, will be in town, and we are going to one of my fave restaurants in the city. I haven't seen Laura Ashely since her wedding in 2005, and since Faith moved to Boston I don't see her all that often either. There is NOTHING like hanging out with old friends!

Plus:

*The Giants are winning. Hopefully they can hold on.
*The city is starting to get holiday-ized. It's a little bit annoying b/c it's happening before Thanksgiving. But, it's not happening to an overwhelming degree, and when I encounter it, it's sort of like a little glimpse of the wonderment to come.
*The weather continues to hover in the mid to high 50's and sometimes ventures into the low 60's. I haven't even had to bust out any scarves yet!

I'm just really enjoying life these days!

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

First of all, you haven't blogged in ages...you should be ashamed of yourself. Second of all, I'm surprised (somewhat) that you are an Obama fan. I wasn't excited about either candidate this year, but couldn't bring myself to vote for someone that was so big on BIG gov't...I'm sure being in NYC the majority of people around you are huge Barak fans...that's how it is here too.
Last, but for sure not least....college bball tips off today! Illini's first tv game is on Dec. 2 vs. Clemson in the Big 10/ACC challenge! Can't wait!

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger becka said...

linds, i know. it's been way too long. i resolve to blog more often in the future.

and re obama, yeah pretty much everyone around here is a huge fan. manhattan went something like 88% for him, second only to dc which i think went 93 or 94%. i support him for several specific reasons. and i oppose mccain for many small reasons and one giant one (palin). i will probably blog some election thoughts in the near future. i hesitate a little to do so, at the risk of inciting needless division. but on the other hand, there's some great thoughts out there on all sides, and we might as well make use of our right to free speech.

and i know, i'm pumped for bball! i plan on becoming quite the regular at the Illinois bar, so i won't have to wait until dec. 2 to catch them on tv. this friday's game doesn't start till 930, so i may be able to catch the end of it. can't wait! the big ten has 3 in the pre-season top 25, so we've come a long way from being (arguably) the weakest major conference a few years ago. i'm really hoping that j. jordan's superhuman genetics will kick in and give us an extra lift this season.

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

i'm so jealous you and L.A. and Faith get to hang out together! Where are you going to eat? I want to be in NY. Maybe I should fly there this weekend. I do have a Delta credit for $100. Hm...

 
At 12:59 PM , Blogger becka said...

Yeah, Mandy, come on out if you want to! We are either going to Sushi Samba or SEA. LA is flying out Saturday morning though, and I'm not sure if Faith is heading straight back to Boston as well, or if she's staying around here a bit longer. You're more than welcome to hang for the weekend, although I do have some stuff I have to do/be at on both Saturday & Sunday. You could either tag along or pill around the city on your own. Yay hope you can come!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home