Monday, October 08, 2007

fall/winter projects

I'm really excited about my fall/winter reading projects. Here's the schedule:

Current read: The Education of Henry Adams, by Henry Adams
Next: An American Tragedy, vols. 1 & 2, by Theodore Dreiser
After that: The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
And then: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand

Two things: First, I realize it may be a bit ambitious to read both of these Ayn Rand books before the leaves start growing back in the spring. I thought about doing one this year and one the next. But, upon further thought, I've tentatively decided to do them consecutively, in the hope that I'll thoroughly enjoy The Fountainhead but that it will gear me up to read her masterpiece next. Second, this is not an exclusive list, as I will certainly be adding Logos selections, among other things.

I'm truly so glad that I'm a reader. It makes life so much better.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

You crack me up...when do you want to discuss ATSS? Also, have you decided what the next selection for Logos will be? Let me know...LYMY!

 
At 5:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that I would call it ambitious, but it probably isn't terribly healthy to read both of the Ayn Rand books in the same season. Rand is actually pretty easy to read, albeit terrbily wordy. Put off one of the Rand books and try something a little more philosophically sophisticated and challenging like Being and Nothingness or The Critique of Pure Reason. Ayn Rand really doesn't have a whole lot to offer intellectually. The ontology doesn't jive with the ethics at all. Also the extreme libertarian captialism doesn't work in the modern era with multi-national quasi-state conglomerates that can strip individual liberties (that she professes to cherish) as quickly as any totalitarian dictatorship.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home