Sunday, December 02, 2007

first snow

I've been pretty excited for the holidays since the day after Thanksgiving, but today I finally feel like the Christmas season is upon us. There's basically two reasons for that. First, this morning I woke up to a nice little snowshower. It was so pretty, and I was really suprised by the fact that I didn't really mind the cold all that much. I took a couple pictures... one is outside the door of my building, and the other is at the subway stop.


Second, our Christmas tree is finally up for good. It's a 7 foot live tree, so it's not the easiest thing to maneuver. We put it up last Saturday, the 24th, but on Tuesday it fell over. It leaned against the wall until late Friday night when my roomate and I were both home at the same time and could deal with it. We couldn't get it to stay in the stand without falling, so we decided to secure it by tying it up. We used 2 large 3M Command hooks and tied sturdy ribbon from one hook, around the trunk of the tree, and then to the other hook. This worked pretty well for a couple of hours, but then the weight of the tree pulled the hooks off the wall and it fell again. Yesterday I was able to pick up a different stand and get the tree standing upright without any sort of jerry-rigging. Then this afternoon I spent a few hours taking off all of the lights and ornaments (they were all messed up from all the falling and leaning) and putting them all back on again. Now, finally, our tree is up for good and our apartment officially feels Christmasy.

1 Comments:

At 5:01 PM , Blogger becca's bits said...

jerry-rigging...LOL. love that phrase!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home