Saturday, November 22, 2008

still holds up

I listen to my ipod everyday, like virtually everyone else, but I rarely listen to music. I would estimate that maybe 5% of what I listen to, either on my ipod or through my computer at my apartment, is actual music. The rest is podcasts, news, symposiums, lectures, science shows, and the like. I'm certainly not against music, and I actually really like it. I don't feel like I have a lack of music in my life, and now that I think about it, I think it's because I go to a decent amount of live shows, which I suppose is a perk of where I live. Anyway, when it comes to what I listen to on my own, I just normally prefer to be fed a constant diet of information.

That said, last night it took me almost 3 hours to get home from Tribeca, courtesy of some ill-time flightiness on my own part and some scheduled train delays/track work. It was awful. But, I listened to music the entire time. I decided to go with an old fave, Caedmon's Call, and I listened to a ton of their stuff. I was both delighted and comforted to discover that, after all these years, they still totally hold up. I listen to a song or two of theirs in isolation every so often, but I just really enjoyed going back through their whole body of work. I'm curious to know what I might think of them if I were exposed to them now for the first time. Would I like them so much? I suppose that doesn't really matter. I find them incredibly talented, and their lyrics refreshingly honest and challenging.

So, last night I compiled a "Best of Caedmon's" list. That's not easy, because they've got so much out there. I gave myself a limit of no more than 3 songs from each cd. I've listed the song first, followed by the cd it's from.

1. What You Want, Long Line of Leavers
2. The Rich Song, Intimate Portrait
3. I Boast No More, In the Company of Angels
4. The Truth, Intimate Portrait
5. Wings of the Morning, Share the Well
6. Somewhere North, 40 Acres
7. Mystery of Mercy, Back Home
8. You Created, Back Home
9. Dance, Long Line of Leavers**
10. International Love Song, Share the Well
11. Bus Driver, Caedmon's Call
12. Prove Me Wrong, Long Line of Leavers
13. There's Only One (Holy One), Share the Well
14. Awake My Soul, Back Home
15. Center Aisle, Caedmon's Call
16. Table for Two, 40 Acres

**this song is not be confused with "The Danse," from In the Company of Angels
Honorable Mention, in no particular order:

Mistake of My Life, Long Line of Leavers
The Innocent's Corner, Share the Well
Where I Began, 40 Acres
Manner and Means, Back Home
Beautiful Mystery, Back Home
This World, Caedmon's Call
Before There Was Time, In the Company of Angels
Never Gonna Let Go, Back Home
April Showers, Intimate Portrait

2 Comments:

At 11:42 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

OMG, looove this list friend. You know I'm a solid Caedmon's fan as well. When it comes to Christian music, there isn't much out there that's of good substance, but Caedmon's Call definitely does still hold up. They really do have some amazing lyrics and refreshing sounds.

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Erin A said...

Ooo, good list! I had a similar-ish experience over the holidays at my moms, who owns, bless her heart, about 10 cds, and 4 were CC. Very amused that there is an honorable mention section! Were you mentally compiling this list while you were listening or after?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home