Friday, May 05, 2006

musings on time

I'm not sure why, but this morning I was thinking about time. Nothing too serious, but I'm wondering if I'll ever stop viewing time in school years. Everytime I remember an event from past, it's always within a certain school year. Like, "remeber that time in 7th grade," or "one time sophomore year," or "summer after freshmen year in high school." I have to really pause and think about it to figure out what actual calendar year it was. I thought this would end after college, but it hasn't. I graduated, and then there was June-May at Discovery. After that I mostly traveled and piddled for the summer, and then began working in advertising in August. I guess those dates corresponded with school years and fed the monster. Will I ever get out of this school year mindset? I'm not really sure.

Then I started wondering if people in the financial world constantly view time in fiscal years. Maybe it just depends on the time table of the world you're involved in. Does anyone actually think of a year from January-December and plant their memories accordingly, like "back in November of 1997"? I have no clue.

Anyway, here's a good book recommendation. It's a small, quick read called Einstein's Dreams. It explores the idea of time with many interesting short stories. It was recommended to me by a Jewish rabbi whose children I babysat for throughout college. He taught a couple of English classes at a local college and it was one of the books he assigned to his students. Good stuff.

2 Comments:

At 1:23 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

very interesting thoughts, my friend! i'm wondering the same...of course for me time is definitely still in semesters and school years since i am surrounded by it. someday i've gotta get out of that mindset too!

 
At 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home