Tuesday, February 20, 2007

interesting idea from Guillermo del Toro

Tonight I heard an interview with Guillermo del Toro, director of the recently released movie "Pan's Labyrinth." I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's definitely on my list. Anyway, he said something that really got my gears turning. del Toro said that the movie is sort of an adult fable about choice and obedience. He said that "disobedience is the threshold of responsibility" and that it's "necessary to exert disobedience, both socially and personally." I found myself rather intrigued by these comments. I haven't had too much time to process it yet, so I'm not yet sure if I agree with him or not. One of my first thoughts was that disobedience often precedes consequences, and consequences can have a way of forcing people to take responsibility for what they've done, who they've become, etc. I'm not sure if that's at all what he means...just sort of a first reaction or thought to his comments. It's something I'll have to stew on some more, especially his validation of and distinction between social and personal disobedience. Maybe I'll understand it more after I see the film, but regardless it sure is interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home