Thursday, December 20, 2007

sonnets and sims

Sonnets:

Several months ago I realized that I somehow became a reasonably well-educated adult without learning hardly any Shakespeare. It's a little embarassing, but my Shakepearean familiarity is pathetic, at best. However, I finally decided to do something about it. I joined this Shakespeare reading group, and last night was the first meeting I attended. It's essentially exactly what is sounds like... a group of people who get together and read Shakespeare plays. We don't act them out or anything. It's more of a table read, with everyone getting assigned a role or two.

Last night we did Henry IV, part 1, and I played both Hostess and Worcester. It was actually really great. I haven't read more than two lines of Shakespeare since my junior year of high school, so I was shocked at how easily it rolled off my tongue. The prose is really quite beautiful. I'm really looking forward to next month's reading, and am glad I now have this fun way to familiarize myself with Shakespeare's body of work!

Sims:

Maybe someone can help me with this. I've decided that I would really like to become wrapped up in some sort of game (preferably computer but maybe simple game system?) where I can create something and/or be in control. Ideally, I could play over the internet without having to really download anything, and I would be able to create a world, or a character/team or creature of some sort, maybe a society or at least some buildings. I don't really know. For some reason I just really think this sounds like fun. I've never really been into this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure what my options are. I know the Sims series has been popular in the past, but I'm not exactly sure what it is/how to play, or even if it's really what I'm looking for. My brother suggested a game called Civilization. I haven't looked into that one, but I guess it's a possibility. Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

1 Comments:

At 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home