Monday, February 26, 2007

Sunday culture

Yesterday was a pretty cultured day for me. I spent the late morning/early afternoon at the Art Museum. I haven't been there in about 6 years, so I forgot how much I like it there. My favorite piece of art was "Woman with a Harp" by Elizabeth Nourse. I don't know how to describe the feeling that came over me when I was standing in front of it. I looked at the painting online and it didn't have any of the same effect at all, but seeing the painting in person was incredible. I don't really understand it, but I'm so in awe of the emotional effect that great art can have on a person.

My afternoon was spent watching "Master Harrold and the Boys," which is a play going on at the Freedom Center. It was set in South Africa during apartheid. It was such an interesting play because there entire thing is done in one scene and with only three characters. There's not much action or anything in the first 75% of the play. It's all conversation and serious character building. So it's a tad bit slower to start off, but when it climaxes the payoff of the resolution during the last quarter of the play is definitely worth it. It was powerful.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

so glad you enjoyed a day of culture!

so the jell-o shots? were they a success?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home