Saturday, June 23, 2007

decisions, decisions

So, I'm trying to decide which New York City sports teams to start cheering for. While clearly not the most important thing ever, I feel like it's a pretty big choice. Here's what I've got so far...any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, to be clear, these will not become my new favorite teams (I don't think). I just need teams to cheer for, enjoy, like, and attend games. My true teams will always be the Chicago Bears, University of Illinois college basketball, and for pro basketball the Chicago Bulls. For baseball I feel equally towards the Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, and LA Dodgers. I like the LA Kings because they are the only pro hockey team I've really seen, but I feel that allegiance is up for grabs.

college teams: I think I'm going to go with Hofstra. This is mostly a default decision because there are suprisingly few teams here. Maybe another choice could be St. Johns, but I think that's about it. Most NYC colleges aren't really known for their athletics, so it's slim pickin's here.

NBA: I've think I will just go ahead and cheer for the Knicks. This is sort of weird since they were the Bulls' biggest rivals back in the glorious early-mid 90's. The Knicks are awful these days, and it's always fun to root for the underdog.

NHL: I'm fully ok with my choice to become a Rangers fan. I really like watching hockey live, which I never knew until I went to a couple of Kings games when I was in LA. It really makes for a fun evening.

NFL: This is tough. I love the Bears, but need a hometown team to root for. I don't really know much about either the Jets or Giants, so I could go either way. I'm leaning a little towards the Jets because I like their green color better than the Giants' red and blue combo. That's a really shallow reason to pick a team, so the jury's still out on this one.

MLB: I've always enjoyed a baseball game as much as the next girl...it's a great time to work on your tan and hang out with some friends. But I've never been a real die hard baseball fan. I don't really have a team that I absolutely love, so I've never had a problem just adopting the team of whatever city I live in. This is a little problematic now, because I've learned it's not acceptable to be both a Yankees and Mets fan; you have to pick one. The Mets seem to be a more substantive team, and are maybe a little easier to take seriously. However, the Yankees have all these sports divas and are so damn theatrical it's like cheering for a soap opera. That's pretty hard to resist. So...I think I'm going to go with the Yankees on this one.

So all in all, I think I'm in a pretty good spot. I'm happy with my pro basketball and hockey choices. I think I'm pretty good with the baseball and college basketball, but if you've got some input please send it my way. And any NFL suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Please tell me you are kidding about the Knicks...sick,sick,sick! Any connection to the ape Patrick Ewing would influence my decision!

On NFL...gotta say Jets. Only because Eli Manning is such a baby. He refused to get drafted to the Chargers a few years back because he was "too good" for them, which ironically, the next year they were in the playoffs and the Giants were not. The Chargers continue to make it farther than the Giants which I love. I don't know much about the Jets, but I saw an interview with Laverneus Coles on Oprah once and he was very humble and likable...so, stick with the Jets!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home