Saturday, June 16, 2007

movies and books

Lately I've had the good fortune of selecting great movies and books. Here's my latest few books:

1. What is the What--my current read, written by Dave Eggars. I'm a little over halfway finished, and so far it's excellent. It's a novel based on the lives of several Sudanese refugees.

2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince--any Harry book is a delight to read, this one especially as it's gearing me up for next month's book 7 release.

3. The Lost Carravagio-- Nice, easy read about (clearly) a lost Carravagio painting. This novel is entertaining and doesn't require a lot of brain power, but still educates you with a little art history.

My ongoing read: This quarter's edition of McSweeney's Quarterly Concern. This publication comes in a different format with different types of content each quarter, and this time it's a hard-back book of short stories.

Next up: God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, the latest book from the venerable Chris Hitchens.

My latest few movies have been:
Freedom Writers- good but not unbelievable
Closer- great flick
Cool Runnings- best Jamaican movie AND best bobsled movie I've ever seen. Maybe also best Olympics movie.
Little Children- loved this one. the ending makes a beautiful point
Best in Show- can't belive it took me so long to finally watch this hilarious gem


This movie list has caused me to think about other great sports movies, particularly movies featuring winter sports. I think the best are Cool Runnings, the Might Ducks trilogy (particularly D2), and The Cutting Edge. And maybe I'd have to give an honorable mention to Ice Princess...it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it does star the girl who played in Harriet the Spy, and that's gotta count for something.

2 Comments:

At 9:31 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

A couple (or maybe more than a couple ) questions/comments...

I concur about Harry...always a delight...only 23 days 'til the 5th movie and 33 days until book 7!

What does 'venerable' mean? Respectable/Holy...I guess you are being sarcastic?

What are you wanting to accomplish by reading God is Not Great?

One of these days when I'm done reading parenting books, we'll get Logos going again...I vow we won't ever let it die!

LYMY, Old

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger becka said...

Venerable means highly respected, or maybe revered. I am definitely not being sarcastic...Christopher Hitchens is supremely intelligent and arguably one of the foremost journalists and speakers these days.

I am reading his book to gain knowledge and perspective, and to be able to intelligently discuss his ideas and contributions to the country's social, moral, and even political landscape.

And you are right...we will never let logos die! I'm thinking maybe Harry 7 should be the next official selection???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home