Thursday, June 22, 2006

so you think you can stop watching this show?

I don’t quite understand the “So you think you can dance?” phenomenon. It isn’t a good show. Yet for some unknown reason, I spent two hours of my life watching it last night. I had previously seen maybe 20 minutes or so of a much earlier episode, one where the horrible (and consequently horribly amusing) dancers were on. I hadn’t seen it since, but lots of people I know are faithful viewers and seem to be quite enamored with the whole thing. I thought I’d tune in to check it out.

While some d
ancers were of course better than others, no one was super good, or even super likable for that matter. And as far as the judges go, I’m not too impressed. Despite the obvious intentional similarities, they cannot compare to the American Idol crew. I felt sort of like I did in junior high when “Saved By the Bell” tragically went off the air, and then “Saved By the Bell: The New Class” came on. Nice try, but not quite happening. On a positive note though, the token female judge has not become so much like Paula Abdul that she’s started showing up to every show absolutely trashed.

So yeah, while I concede that “SYTYCD?” is mildly entertaining, I don’t like the show much at all, really. I hereby resolve not to waste my time watching it again, and I urge you to follow suit.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

dear friend,

though you gave SYTYCD a one-night stand, i believe it deserves another chance. there are some things you may not know about it. for starters, the styles of dancing change each week for each pair, and the show constantly is changing when there become fewer dancers. also, the judges change each week--the only one who stays the same is nigel.

however, you may still not like the show. the people on there are quite talented, and some of us with prior dance background know that even we could never make it with how much they have to do. it's alright if you don't like it. i just wanted to state the other side of the matter. ;-)

love you friend! and of course i'm just being silly (for those of you who may take this too seriously...)

 
At 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home