Wednesday, July 12, 2006

run-ins with the rich and/or famous

I have lived in southern California for a little over two years, and until about a month ago I had seen one famous person. Well, I guess that's not true. I saw Paula Abdul once, but it was at a scheduled appearance with a bunch of press. I didn't know about it, but just happened to be in Hollywood that night. And I guess I've also seen some famous people at Clipper games.

Anyway, I'm talking about seeing people randomly out in public. Once at the California Science Center I saw that bald guy with the gap between his front teeth from VH1...the one who commentates on "Best Week Ever" and "I Love the 80's" and all those shows. I don't remember his name. So, until recently he was the biggest "celebrity" I had personally run into.

Then I start working in West Hollywood on Sunset Boulevard. In the last month or so I have had the following three encounters:

1) One day I walk outside my building to go to lunch, and I realize that Jessica Simpson is walking right in front of me. It was crazy. She's a lot smaller than she looks on TV. So that was cool.

2) About two weeks ago I am walking down the street to go to happy hour at a little pub. On the way we pass a couple little restaurants with sidewalk seating. At one of these restaurants, there's Keanu Reeves just kicking it with one of his friends. He's really tall, which kinda surprised me.

3) Also a couple of weeks ago, I went to this red carpet launch party thing downtown for work. The company was launching a couple of new products, so it was kinda a big deal. I'm not sure why he was there, but Milli Vanilli was at the party. I understand that one of MV's members is dead, so this was obviously the other guy---Fabrizio, or Fab for short. So, not only did I meet him and talk with him, he kissed each of my cheeks! He's French, so I guess it's a typical European greeting.

As someone recently pointed out to me, it seems a person is a true southern Californian when he can do more than see a famous person and not think it's a big deal. You're truly a southern Californian when it doesn't even phase you and you don't even remember that you saw them in the first place. Wonder if I'll ever get to that point? I sorta hope so.

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

nevertheless, you're still a true midwesterner at heart, and ne'er shall that shock run out when you are kissed by a star such as milli vanilli.

hahahahahahaha

the question is, did he really kiss you on the cheeks or did he just fake it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home