Wednesday, March 28, 2007

relief

I was recently told by a good friend that “26 is the new 21.” I don't even know where he heard it, but I was THRILLED to hear this. I’m a little freaked out about getting old. I’m not even 25 yet, but upon hearing this statement, what I can only descirbe as a wave of sweet relief washed over me...like the comfort that comes from a deep breath and the realization that it’s gonna be ok.

Since that initial conversation I’ve thought about it some more, and I really think it’s true ...26 really IS the new 21. In the past, I feel like people were expected to “have it together” by age 26. They’ve had a few years after college to piddle and get things in gear, and now it’s time to be a real grown-up. (fyi..I’ll be devoting a post in the very near future to answering the question of what exactly contitues a grown-up)

Now though, what used to be acceptable for 21 year-olds is acceptable for 26 year-olds. It’s ok to “not really know” about things. It’s a semi-new phenomenom called the “Twixters,” and you can find an interesting article about it from TIME magainze here:

http://tartedelune.livejournal.com/87608.html

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to hyperlink in blogger yet, so you'll have to copy and paste. And thanks Mandy for pointing me to this article about a year ago. It's a little lengthy, but worth the read. Most of it pretty much exactly pinpoints the situation, thoughts, and feelings of myself and lots of others I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home