Thursday, April 12, 2007

movie rec

Yesterday I saw the movie “Junebug.” It’s unbelievable...another one of these great character films. Amy Adams turns in a brilliant performance. So does Embeth Davidtz. Actually the whole cast did amazing work. It’s about relationships, mostly family ones, pain, and love, and also loss. Not in the sense of death, just in the general sense of having something missing. It’s honest, and also very poignant in it’s melancholy. Watching it gave me this beautiful sense of humanity that I haven’t seen from a film in a long time.

On a technical note, hats off to the director and the DP. The whole thing was filmed in this simple but extremely moving way. Instead of using all sorts of crazy crane shots or something, they just let the locations breathe and speak for themselves, sometimes even pausing on just an empty room. It was really an effective and creative way to inform what was going on with the characters. And I think the brief scene in the parking garage towards the end of the film is my favorite shot out of all the shots from all the movies I've ever seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home